How To Retrieve Deleted Outlook Emails Using Manual Steps
Microsoft Outlook is a handy email client application that lets users send and receive emails over the internet. It is a personal information manager that uses a Personal Storage Table (PST) file to store all the data items i.e., emails, contacts, calendars in the local storage system. These data files make it possible to access the Outlook database even in the absence of an internet connection. Well, it is quite common to accidentally delete emails while cleaning up the Outlook Inbox. The situation becomes even worse when someone executes Shift + Delete on crucial email messages. Then, users end up with a common question that how to retrieve deleted Outlook emails from the account?
If you are one of those users then, do not be panic as we have come up with this technical guide. Here, we are going to disclose all possible and cost-efficient solutions for the same for all users (Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 etc.). So, let us get started now.
Quick Tip: The Total PST Outlook PST Data Recovery Tool is the safest solution to recover permanently deleted emails from Outlook PST file. It also allows repairing corrupted data files in Outlook.
Manual Techniques to Recover Permanently Deleted Emails From Outlook
If you have permanently deleted the emails from MS Outlook and now, you want to retrieve deleted Outlook emails then, opt any method mentioned below:
Method 1. Restore Deleted Emails Using Deleted Items Retention Feature
Deleting the crucial emails from MS Outlook and Exchange Server makes the recovery process more complex. When a user deletes any email permanently, it seems like it is lost now. However, there are many locations where these deleted emails can be saved and one can access them only after enabling the DumpsterAlwaysOn key. It is the Deleted items retention feature of Exchange Mail Server that keeps all deleted items even after a user deletes them from Deleted Items folder.
- In order to use Dumpster command in Outlook to check or recover permanently deleted Outlook emails, navigate to Tools tab in Outlook 2007. If you are using Outlook 2010 / 2013 / 2016 then, click on the Folder tab.
- Make sure to select the folder from which the data has been deleted permanently
Note: The process or the steps to retrieve deleted Outlook emails, depends on the retention settings of Microsoft Exchange Server. Below is the list of default settings per Exchange Server version:
||Default retention time in days
|Exchange Online (Office 365)
||14 (be configured up to 30)
- To retrieve, choose one or more data items and press the Recover Selected Items button
By default, the “Recover Deleted Items” command is available only for the default mailbox.
Enable Recover Deleted Items Option
To enable it for the Shared Mailboxes, one can add “DumpsterAlwaysOn” Registry value name.
Key for 32-bit MS Outlook on Windows 32-bit:
Key for 32-bit MS Outlook on Windows 64-bit:
Key for 64-bit MS Outlook on Windows 64-bit:
- Value name: DumpsterAlwaysOn
- Type: REG_DWORD
- Value: 1
- If you do not want to change the registry then, use this specific file to set it as the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry file. The same registry file is available on the local machine. First, users need to save the file then, they can open it using the hard drive. Next, hit a right click on it and choose Save target as option.
- After that, utilize the Open folder option and hit double-click on downloaded files. Later, one can restart the Microsoft Outlook program to check if the deleted items are retrieved.
Method 2. Retrieve Deleted Outlook Emails from Recoverable Items Folder
If there are no data items in deleted items folder then, ‘Recoverable Items folder’ is the next place to go. It is a hidden folder that comprises the details of all user activities, such as:
- Delete an email from Deleted Items folder
- Empty the Deleted Data Items folder
- Permanently deletes the items from Outlook
Steps to Retrieve Deleted Outlook emails
- In MS Outlook account, navigate to Email folder list then, click on the Deleted item
Important: If you are getting ‘Trash Folder’ instead of ‘Deleted Items Folder’ then, it means the account no longer supports the recovery of data items that are not present in Deleted Items folder.
- Now, in the left side of screen select Home option and select Recover Deleted Items from the server option
Note: In case, if the ‘Recover deleted items from server’ option is not present, it implies that the account does not allow to retrieve deleted Outlook emails. Make sure your MS Outlook account is configured with Exchange account.
- Choose desired data items to restore and enable the radio button next to Restore Selected Items.
- Click OK
Method 3. Recover Outlook Items Using Previous Versions Feature
- Go to the folder where PST files are saved
- Next, hit a right click on a specific folder
- In the menu bar, select Restore Previous Versions
- Next, the File Properties wizard will appear on the screen and all the Previous Versions menu will be activated
- Hit a double-click on the latest folder and check all the content
- If there are any missing PST files then, choose and copy them. After that, paste these files in the original location
- The restore folder does not contain the PST files then, close it and open less current editions until you get the desired folder
- If folder comprises the PST that no longer exist then, hit a right-click on the parent folder. This will check if it still incorporates a replica of the particular folder
How to retrieve deleted Outlook emails is such a common query asked by several Microsoft Outlook users. Thus, here we have discussed all the possible solutions for the same. Now, users can prefer any solution technique as per their current requirements and necessities. Also introduces a strong advanced application to recover delted Outlook email messages and repair data files.